|6 Ways to Get High Naturally by Laura Lewis
You're an addict. You really are. As members of the human race, we naturally aspire to be happy, joyful, excited, buzzed, elated and "out-of-this-world-blissed out!" We love our "feel good" brain chemicals. Who wouldn't really? Whether we realize it or not, we all strive to attain just the right balance of dopamine, serotonin, cortisol, growth hormone, essential fats, insulin and other naturally occuring "bio"chemicals in our bodies. Fitness lovers, myself included, love the high that comes along with a great workout, right? I know I do. At the end of a particularly stressful day the "pre-workout" Laura looks very different before doing forty-five minutes of cardio and thirty minutes of free weights. I am all smiles ... and naturally high.
The hunger to feel good has a flip side. Hence addiction is a huge problem for many in our society. Yet, getting high naturally is totally possible.
Here are 6 ways to do just that.
1. Workout. Move. Do something that involves physical activity. I enjoy fitness walks with my gigantic Golden Retriever, Tucker. He makes me smile too. And I adore the gym and try to get there at least three to four times per week. What can you do?
2. Gossip. I had no idea but it's true. Gossiping, according to researchers, is much like grooming among primates and helps humans bond. And elevates endorphins too. I am not a fan of "mean gossip" and recommend to be kind when you do gossip.
3. Eat Chocolate. Why? If you are a chocolate lover you have a hunch. When you eat chocolate the simple consumption of the luscious, rich treat causes the release of phenylethylamine in the brain: the very same chemical that is released when you fall in love.
4. Get Stuck ... With Acupuncture Needles. If you haven't tried it, you should. I love it. My acupuncturist in Dallas, Iva Peck, has been treating me for years. I must say, the endorphin high is simply lovely. Researchers have proven acupuncture treatments significantly improve moods.
5. Have Sex. Post orgasm natural pain killers are released. No wonder you feel "oh so good" afterward.
6. Laugh, giggle, chortle or gufaw. And do it a lot. I love to laugh, smile and make others laugh. Have you laughed lately? If not, rent a funny flick. Call a friend that makes you laugh. Listen to a stand-up comic that makes you laugh. Laughing is one of the easiest ways to elevate your mood.
Original article written by Laura Lewis for ThatsFit.com Photo Credit: thephotographymuse via Compfight cc